RANSON – A Baltimore man led police on a high-speed chase early Sunday evening through the downtowns and neighborhoods of Ranson and Charles Town and across Jefferson County before crashing on U.S. 340 near Harpers Ferry, according to court records.

Nicholas Horace Alexander Campbell, 29, nearly caused several accidents while racing his car from police for about 15 minutes, according to a criminal complaint a Ranson patrolman filed in Jefferson County Magistrate Court.

Patrolman Arlyn Black reports that he first tracked Campbell on radar driving a silver Nissan vehicle at 87 mph eastbound on W.Va. Route 9 near the Currie Road overpass.

In a pursuit that began about 5:50 p.m., Black made a U-turn across the W.Va. 9 median to follow Campbell’s car. The pursuit began with Black turning on his patrol car’s lights and siren north of downtown Ranson on North Mildred Street in Ranson near Wescott Drive.  

During a police pursuit, Campbell allegedly committed “dozens of traffic offenses,” including driving other motorists off roadways and speeding through red traffic lights and multiple stop signs on residential streets through Fairfax Crossing in Ranson.

The chase continued on Oak Lee Drive, Patrick Henry Way and Shepherdstown Pike, police reported. The chase ended at U.S. 340 and Union Street in Harpers Ferry, after town police used roadway spikes to disable Campbell’s vehicle.

Campbell allegedly ran from his vehicle after it was disabled, and police used a taser to subdue him, police reported. A sheriff’s deputy injured his elbow, knee and hip while arresting Campbell.

Black reported that Campbell stated he did not stop during the pursuit because he had a “suspended” driver’s license. However, according to a criminal complaint, police determined he had a valid license but was on supervised probation in Baltimore.

Campbell faces a felony charge of fleeing police that, upon a conviction, carries a maximum fine of $2,000 and a term of incarceration up to five years.

He was being held at the Eastern Regional Jail in Martinsburg awaiting court proceedings. His bail was set at $25,000.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.