SHEPHERDSTOWN – It’s not every day the public gets to explore the Falling Spring site, home to a historic house, the state’s tallest sugar maple and the spot where the Beeline March began more than two centuries ago.
But next month, anyone interested can check out the Shepherdstown landmark as the Women for Shepherd University host a home and garden tour.
The free event happens from 2 to 4 p.m. May 18, but organizers ask those planning to attend to reserve a spot by May 10.
The porticoed house at 142 Falling Spring Road is owned today by Ed and Lorri Schwartz. The home, which mixes federal and Georgian styles, dates to 1837 and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1988.
Morgan’s Grove Park, located near Falling Spring, is named for Richard Morgan, who settled the property around 1734.
The land passed along to his son and then to a grandson, Jacob Morgan, who built the home. It still has its three-story staircase with a cherry banister and other original features.
Falling Spring stayed in the Morgan family until 1904 when it became home to Dr. M.H. Crawford and family. The Crawfords, who’d traveled widely, added an Asian garden and other updates.
One of the springs on the property has its own claim to fame – in July of 1775, Morgan’s Spring was the starting point of the American Revolution’s historic Beeline March where soldiers from the Shepherdstown area raced off to the aid of George Washington’s forces at Boston.
A tree on the property is another standout. In 2011, it won the West Virginia Big Tree program title for biggest sugar maple with a height of 108 feet and a circumference of 204 inches.
Back in 1955, Falling Spring was featured on the first-ever Shenandoah-Potomac Garden Council House & Garden Tour. It was included again on the 2017 tour.
Next month’s event also will include a light tea reception.
Organizers ask that anyone planning to attend send an RSVP by May 10 to Meg Peterson, the university’s director of donor relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-876-5021.
Women of Shepherd University is a group sponsored by the Shepherd University Foundation.