HARPERS FERRY – Years before he was elected mayor of Harpers Ferry in June 2017, Wayne Bishop was serving on the town’s Planning Commission when the Hill Top House Hotel property was purchased by a developer in Virginia.

Fredrick Schaufeld, a principal of SWaN Investors of Leesburg,  announced in September 2007 plans to restore the Hill Top and adjoining properties on East Ridge Street.

At the time, Bishop was working as a construction project executive with BE&K Building Group Inc. in Vienna, Va.

What follows are several emails between Bishop and Mike Miller, at the time SWaN’s Hill Top project manager.

The emails show Bishop sought a job with SWaN as well as other construction work from SWaN. He also sought to sell his East Ridge Street home to SWaN. Here’s the text from those messages:

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:18 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: Wayne Bishop Resume

Hi Mike

It was good to see you yesterday. Here is the resume that BE&K used on a recent proposal. I have hotel, condominium and University apartment experience that are not reflected here. Also I can provide you with both National and International references.

Wayne Bishop

(A resume from Bishop is attached to the email, including a photo of him and a listing of 18 examples of “selected project experience” ranging from a $30 million Cal Poly University project in San Luis Obispo, Calif., to a $102 million Gallery at Harborplace project in Baltimore. Under a profile synopsis, Bishop’s resume states, “He serves as the primary liaison between Owner, Architect, other specialty consultants, and BE&K Building Group.”)

From: Miller, Mike

Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 12:20 AM

To: Fred Schaufeld

Subject: Potential Hilltop Advocate: Wayne Bishop Resume

Attachments: Bishop Wayne resume doc

Fred,

Wayne Bishop has lived in Harpers Ferry for about 20 years and is a member of the Harpers Ferry planning commission. DGE’s purchase was the vacant lot adjacent to his house on Ridge St. He approached me with a desire to be involved in our Hilltop Project. While many folks corner me with similar desires to be involved he actually has some potentially valuable experience and influence in the town. I particularly found his experience with parking structures interesting. He indicated that BE&K Building Inc. may be interested in our restoration project. however, if we went with another firm, he would still be interested in assisting on his own because he has flexibility with BE&K I indicated that we were still in the initial phase of putting together our team, however, was concerned about the potential conflict of interest with his volunteer job on the HF planning commission. Wayne indicated he could still perform that role & help us get our vision approved if he recused himself from making a commission vote on Hilltop.

I don’t think he should give up his day job at BE&K, but he may be a valuable consultant to our project. What do you think?

Mike

BTW: He also owns the house behind him on Washington Street. He rents it out, but may move into it in the future and would consider selling us his Ridge St. property.

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:05 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: Wayne Bishop

Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to look at.

Wayne Bishop

From: Miller, Mike

Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:09 AM

To: Wayne Bishop

Subject: Re: Wayne Bishop

Ok, nothing just try. We are waiting on survey work to finish at end of Nov.

Mike

---

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:50 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: Wayne Bishop

Sounds good. I have experience with site development so let me know.

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 9:53 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: Wayne Bishop

Hi Mike

I called and left you a message over the weekend regarding my properties in Harpers Ferry. Call me

---

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 6:59 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: Bishop

Mike

Have you selected your Architect yet?

From: Miller, Mike

Sent: Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 9:47 AM

To: Bishop, Wayne

Subject: RE: Bishop

Wayne,

We’ve narrowed it down to a couple & are still putting together the team.

Mike

---

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 9:47 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: RE: Bishop

Sounds like progress. Please let me know if you can use my services. When we met 2 months ago you expressed an interest in my properties. Do you still have that interest?

---

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 9:34 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: Harpers ferry Residents Meeting

Good Morning Mike

There was a meeting yesterday with a number of neighbors and residents. There was a good discussion about the potential Hotel plans and a number of questions, comments and concerns. As a result the group would like to meet with you on either Sunday the 9th of March or the 16th so that ideas, questions and concerns can be passed on to your group while you are putting together your development plans. 3pm seems to work well. Please let me know if you are available. As we get close I will give you the location. Thank You.

From: Bishop, Wayne [mailto:BishopW@bek.com]

Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:17 AM

To: Miller, Mike

Subject: Design Development/ Budgeting/ Schedule DevelopmentLogistics Plan

Hi Mike

Just a follow up to remind you I can assist you with these service for the hotel.

Tags

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.